- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 cup fresh whole basil leaves (packed) + 4 leaves
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup good-quality olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic + additional clove minced (I didn't use the additional garlic and it was garlicy enough!)
- Salt & ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter (I used olive oil)
- 2 cups assorted fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
* I microwave my squash which veers from the cookbook
- Cut squash in half (for easier cutting you can soften the skin in microwave by poking it several times with a knife and microwaving for 4 minutes) then take out the seeds.
- Place squash in microwave save pan, meat side down. Fill pan with water filling the pan up to the 1/2 way point on the squash. Cover tightly with Saran Wrap.
- Microwave for 15 minutes. Handle with care, pour off the water.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor (I have a Magic Bullet) combine the 1 cup basil leaves, walnuts, olive oil, garlic and Salt and Pepper to taste.
- With a fork, scrape the inside of the squash to create a spaghetti.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter (or olive oil) once melted add minced garlic (if you choose.)
- Stir in the spaghetti squash, along with pesto. Gently fold in the tomatoes, remaining basil and pine nuts (if desired.)
- Cook until everything is well incorporated and the spaghetti squash is cooked to your preferred doneness.