I've made this dish three times and I feel that the hens cook
more evenly when they are cut in half.
Roasted Cornish Hens with Grapes
- 1-1/2 pounds mixed red and green seedless grapes
- 8 shallots, root end attached (I substituted pearl onions)
- 6 sprigs of thyme, plus additional leaves for hens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 4 cornish game hens (*Depending on what it is served with, we thought a half of a hen per person was plenty.)
- Preheat oven to 450F. On a rimmed baking sheet toss grapes, shallots and thyme springs with olive oil plus 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- When using whole bird tie the legs with kitchen twine; nestle the hens among the grapes on the baking sheet, breast side up. Season the hens generously with salt and pepper; sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- Roast, basting occasionally with the pan juices, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160F when inserted in the thickest part of the leg (avoiding bone), about 45 minutes.