These are hearty, one was very filling.
Cut them in half and serve with something fun on the side,
like fried shredded rutabaga *smile*
- 1 lb chicken, turkey or pork Italian sausage
- 4 large eggs, hard boiled (not too large)
- 1/4 cup almond flour (just a little to coat the eggs)
- 1/2 bag of plain pork rinds pounded into crumbs. (optional)
- 1 raw egg (optional)
- Divide meat into 4 sections. Roll into balls and flatten with your palm into a pancake shape.
- Roll the eggs in Almond flour. (this helps the meat stick to the egg)
- Wrap each egg evenly in a portion of meat, being sure they are covered completely. Roll it around in your hands a bit to ensure even sausage coating.
- Option: Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl - Dip each egg/sausage ball in the beaten egg then coat thoroughly in pork rind crumbs.
- Bake until golden brown on a cookie sheet (line with parchment paper for easy clean up) at 375°F; about 25 minutes, check and add 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
Slice in half and eat like an apple . . . . great for on the go! You could fancy these up for a fun brunch treat, they make for such a cute presentation with the surprise egg inside.
Add seasoning to the sausage to vary the recipe:
- Italian: Italian or Pizza seasoning
- Asian: Chinese 5-spice powder + coconut aminos (non-soy sauce)
- Moroccan: add Ras el Hanout
- Tex Mex: cumin & chili powder