Make extra, this is better the second day!
Prep time: 20minutes
Cook time 35 minutes
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tabl. ground cumin
- 2Tabl. dried oregano
- 1 Tabl. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tabl. olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tabl. extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 4 cup purple (or green) cabbage, shredded
- 2 - 1/2 cups fresh (not canned) diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tabl. cumin
- 1 Tabl. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 to 1 full (7 oz.) can El Pato jalapeño salsa
- In large bowl add all the meatball ingredients. Mix well using hands and set aside.
- In large soup pot, saute the shallots and garlic in olive oil until the shallots become translucent.
- Add carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, chicken broth, water cumin, oregano and sea salt; mix well and bring to a boil.
- Using hands, form the meat into golf ball-sized meatballs and gently drop into the boiling soup. Turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally (stir gently taking care not to break the meatballs).
- Add the El Patio, stir and simmer another 5 minutes.